REbeL is a student-driven education and prevention program designed to address eating and body image concerns.
The name, REbeL, is based on the idea that we are encouraging students to rebel against:
- making appearance more important than health
- peer pressure
- the diet mentality
- our society’s unrealistic standards of beauty and physical attractiveness
Also important is the focus on teaching students to be:
- aware of and informed about these issues
- critical consumers of the media, and of diet and appearance-related products
- agents of change in their schools and communities
In short, the basic message of the program is
REbeL: be YOU!